Hearty One Pot Dinner- Meatball Soup
Who doesn't love meals that get all of your food groups into one pot?
I developed this recipe for a few reasons. The meatball core recipe is from Aunty Nancy, my best friends mom who makes the best "turkey meatballs" recipe. She lovingly combines tofu with chicken (shhh!). They taught us this concept back in food science lab- turns out many burger companies add vegetable proteins to extend their meat as it helps them stay moist and flavorful. It also came about from my boyfriends dislike of chewy chicken breast. So, I thought, why not put these meatballs in soup? It combines flavorful lean chicken with fresh veggies, tasty broth and hearty potatoes. We like to top it with pineapple hot sauce from home in Hawaii if you're also looking for some kick.
I love to make my soup bases with something that is easy to grab and affordable. For an extra mild deep flavor, use Miso paste- which can usually be found in the front aisle of the grocery store in the fridge. It is fermented soybeans and a lower sodium option that combines some pre-and pro- biotics into your meal. For a more salty, classic flavor, use Chicken "better than bouillon" which can be kept in your fridge as a quick, cheaper (lighter to carry) substitute for chicken broth.
Side notes, this recipe is gluten free and can be made meat free if you're willing to make tofu/ lentil meatballs- will work on a recipe for that in the future!
Yield: this makes about 4 large bowls of filling soup
(Fresh pictures coming soon!)
1lbs Lean ground turkey breast
1 Package organic firm or extra firm tofu
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp cayenne, chipolte, or red pepper flakes (double for +++ spice)
2 Tablespoons olive or canola oil
1 Yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
4 Large carrots
1/2 stalk or 4 pieces Celery
6 Yellow Potatoes
1 bunch or 8 Radishes
2 tablespoons Miso paste or Chicken "better than bouillon"
6 cups water
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 large mixing bowl, remove rings from hands (its gonna get messy!)
1 large soup pot (5 quarts or more)
Large knife, Tongs, Spatula, Soup spoon, teaspoons and cups
1. Chop all veggies (onion, celery, carrot, potatoes) in 1/2 inch chunks or larger. Mince the garlic.
2. Add all the meatball ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix with your bare hands well, squeezing the tofu bits to break them up as much as possible. Form mixture into 1/4 cup sized meatballs- about your fist size or smaller. Leave in bowl and wash your hands well.
3. Heat olive oil in large soup pot on medium, using tongs, add meatballs about 1 inch apart in bottom of pot. Let them sizzle and brown for 4 minutes, flipping onto other size then browning and additional 2-4 minutes. Once browned on most sides, place all on plate on size.
4. Add onions to empty warm pot, add more olive oil if they're sticking- cook for about 4 minutes until starting to brown. Then add garlic, cook for 1 minute. Then add celery and carrots, cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add potatoes, miso or bouillon paste, water and spices. Cover and turn heat to high for 10 minutes. Once comes to a boil, add meatballs for 2-3 minutes then reduce to low for 2-3 more minutes.
6. Let cool for 10 minutes, ladel into bowl and enjoy (Add hot sauce prn!)
Additional optional veggies or substitutes (Im all about using what you have)
1 Zucchini or summer squash
4 Parsnips (sub for carrots)
3 Sweet potatoes (sub for yellow potatoes)
3 Russet potatoes (sub for yellow potatoes)
Take a dive into this hearty one pot meal by